Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Unfair Tax

I just went to the Fair Tax site, since I had not heard of the term until reading about the most recent Republican debate. Mike Huckabee and Alan Keyes want to eliminate the IRS and the 16th Amendment and establish a national sales tax. There are many fallacies to this idea, and I promise to blog about them later, but I just wanted to point out that I checked out the Fair Tax Calculator to estimate all the glorious tax savings that could be mine if only we'd get rid of those progressive taxes. I'd end up paying $2,700 more if the "Fair Tax" was enabled and income tax was repealed. And I'd be willing to bet that people poorer than me would pay an even higher percentage of their income with the "Fair Tax" in place. But then, poor people don't vote in Republican primaries.

No comments: